Daniel W. Jones, M.D. Chair for Faculty Support - Alumni
This Ignite Ole Miss campaign for the faculty chair honoring Chancellor Dan Jones has closed.
However, great news! If you did not get to participate, the University Foundation continues to accept gifts for this important initiative. Click on this link and make a gift of any size to support outstanding faculty to help in the academic preparation of our students. Thus far, the alumni and friends, faculty, and staff campaigns combined exceed $1,032,000. Your generous investments are deeply appreciated!
Let’s stand with Dan!
Thank Chancellor Dan Jones today for his significant service to the University of Mississippi by making a contribution to one of his top priorities: faculty support. The Chancellor’s tenure is concluding, after what can only be characterized as a golden era of growth and progress. For this reason, UM faculty members are joining a widespread collaborative effort to build funds for an endowed faculty position – the Daniel W. Jones, M.D. Chair – which will rotate among schools and colleges on the Oxford campus. Dr. Jones has worked tirelessly to ensure the University of Mississippi excels and that it receives proper recognition for its accomplishments.
UM thrives under his leadership
Remarkably, the University of Mississippi under Chancellor Jones’ leadership has flourished despite shadowing economic challenges. Chancellor Jones has positioned the University for sustained success at the national and global level, with our academic reputation continually becoming stronger.
- The university's enrollment for fall 2014 hit an all-time record of 23,096 for all its campuses, the largest in Mississippi. The freshman class has grown from 2,473 in 2007 to 3,814 this year – the largest in state history.
- The Chronicle of Higher Education named UM as the nation's 13th-fastest growing university in its Almanac of Higher Education 2014.
- Our schools, programs and students are recognized for their achievements almost daily.
- Chancellor Jones led the University through a strategic planning process resulting in UM2020, a plan to continue growth and progress into the future.
- Private support exceeded $100 million for the 3rd straight year: $118 million for FY 2014, $114.6 million in FY 2013 and $122.6 million in FY 2012. Our endowment now stands at approximately $600 million.
- There are more dues-paying members of the Alumni Association than ever before. Dr. Jones has traveled across this nation to engage alumni and friends in the life of Ole Miss. Let’s hear a Hotty Toddy!
At his core, he’s a teacher and researcher
The Chancellor’s top priorities and many successes can be traced back to his beginnings. Dr. Jones is a longtime teacher and researcher who has a great appreciation and understanding for other fellow academicians; he has a heart for students and a great passion for exceptional educational opportunities.
- By choosing UM in historic numbers, parents and students are validating Mississippi’s flagship university as one of America’s academic leaders, as a place to connect with great careers, and as a collegiate experience admired coast to coast.
- Under the Chancellor’s leadership the Sally McDonnell Barksdale Honors College has expanded, and the largest
- When the College Board increased tuition in 2010, Dr. Jones launched the Ole Miss Opportunity scholarship program to ensure continued college access to students from lower-income families in Mississippi.
This leader promotes service and respect
Chancellor Jones has strived for our University to transform individual lives. He’s also said that service to others is part of the Ole Miss family’s DNA.
- The Chancellor has created a culture of inclusivity and respect for everyone in the UM community. He has encouraged everyone to live by the University’s Creed, with emphasis on respect, civility, integrity, honesty, academic freedom and good stewardship.
- Chancellor Jones has encouraged thousands of Ole Miss students to adopt a “service before self” philosophy, helping them to develop as citizens. Countless service projects are now carried out by students around the globe – service that will impact your lives and mine.
- Alumni and friends are “giving back” through volunteering on boards, providing resources and being more involved in unprecedented numbers.
Act today to say “thanks” in a meaningful way
As devoted Ole Miss alumni and friends, please do not delay – act today and make a gift of any size to help endow the Daniel W. Jones, M.D. Chair. Our goal is to have as high a participation rate as possible to show our Chancellor how much his leadership has meant to us over the last six years and the impact it will continue to have for years to come. Your gift will honor him by building faculty support and strengthening our University.